Interim Regulations for Administration and Establishment of International Schools
Article 1 These Regulations are formulated with a view to providing convenience for children of foreign personnel to receive education in China, perfecting the administration of schools for children of foreign personnel and promoting China's opening to the outside world.
Article 2 The foreign institutions and foreign-funded ventures set up in China legally, the offices of international organizations in China and foreign nationals who are residing in China legally may apply for the establishment of schools for children of foreign personnel (hereafter referred to as "schools") in accordance with these Regulations.
Article 3 The schools shall confine themselves to education of secondary schools (including regular secondary schools) and schools at lower levels.
Article 4 Whoever applies for the establishment of such a school shall have the following basic qualifications:
(1) The corresponding scale of sources of students and requirements for the establishment of the school;
(2) The teachers suited to the needs of education and teaching;
(3) The necessary site, facilities and other conditions for running the school;
(4) The necessary funds for running the school and stable source of funds.
Article 5 Whoever applies for the establishment of such a school shall provide the following materials:
(1) The written application form (covering the aims of running the school, the enrollment plan, the areas where the students are to e enrolled, the scale of the school, etc.);
(2) The statutes of the school;
(3) The certificates of the applicant;
(4) The list of the headmaster and members of the board of directors and their credentials;
(5) The facilities, funds, school premises, site, sources of funds and the relevant supporting documents for the school to be established;
(6) The sources of teachers.
Article 6 The applicant shall apply for the establishment of such a school to the administrative department of education of the province, autonomous region or municipality directly under the Central Government where the school is to be established for examination and approval, and then the application shall be submitted to the administrative department of education under the State Council for examination and approval.
Article 7 The schools established after approval shall have corporate capacity and independently undertake civil liability as of the date of approval.
The schools shall not set up branch schools.
Article 8 The schools shall enroll children of foreign personnel who have certificates of residence in China. They shall not enroll children of Chinese citizens in the country.
Article 9 The schools shall determine by themselves the courses to be offered, the teaching materials and the teaching programmers.
Article 10 The applicants shall raise funds by themselves for sunning the schools.
The schools shall not engage in industrial and commercial activities and other profit-making activities in China.
Article 11 The Government of the People's Republic of China encourages and supports the schools in offering courses of Chinese language and Chinese culture so as to enhance and deepen the students' understanding of Chinese culture.
Article 12 The employment of foreign personnel by the schools shall be handled in accordance with the Law of the People's Republic of China on Entry and Exit of Aliens and the relevant regulations on aliens working in China.
The employment of personnel of foreign embassies and consulates in China and their spouses by the schools shall be approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
For the employment of Chinese citizens, the schools shall apply to the provincial administrative department of education for examination and approval.
Article 13 The importation of teaching facilities and office supplies by the schools shall be handled in accordance with the relevant regulations of the state.